Wednesday, February 19, 2014
10:08 AM | Posted by Ashley G. |
Why I Didn't Love it but You Should See it Anyway
The Vampire Academy series is one of my all time favorites so I was thrilled when I found out they were making a movie! However, when I saw the previews my heart sank. Had the producers even read the book? I honestly didn't see how the books I had loved equaled the train wreck I witnessed during the trailer. Of course, I couldn't not see it so opening weekend I dragged my mom with me. While I didn't love it, I did like it much more than I thought I would based on the previews and I think my mom enjoyed it way more than she thought she would.
The movie wasn't bad by any means but there were a few things that I thought could have been done better. The first being the casting of Dimitri. I'm sorry but I did not find Danila Kozlovsky attractive in the least. And those baggy sweatpants would be hard for anyone to look good in. I don't like men in sweatpants period.
The second I felt that the fangs looked too much like a bad horror movie. I realize that's it's hard to make fangs look realistic because they aren't real but it just seemed weird.
The thing I think the casting team did nail was the casting of Zoey Deutch as Rose. She was excellent. She just looked like she could kick some butt and she was funny with her wit and sarcasm.
I really liked the action and the movie as a whole. I felt the plot of the movie was very similar to the books but I felt that someone that hadn't read the books might feel a little overwhelmed with everything. There was a lot going on.
So there's my thoughts about the movie. Now, why should you see it even though I didn't love it? Well, that's easy. There are two very good reasons for that.
1. If you are reading this then you are obviously a fan of YA books in some way, shape, or form. And if you are a fan of YA books you need to support YA movies! I try to see all of the YA movie adaptations even if I didn't love the book or haven't read the book because I love YA books and want more of my favorite books turned into movies. Every time a book is adapted into a movie and it doesn't do well, my heart breaks a little. I want all of them to succeed. I want everyone to know that there is value in YA books and value in making them into movies.
2. This reason is more superficial but in my opinion it may even be more of a reason than the first. That reason is Adrian. If they don't make any more Vampire Academy movies then that means that I don't get to see Adrian on the big screen and that is simply not an option! I need to see Adrian! Even if the guy that cast can't live up to the mental image I have (but really there's no way that they can) I still want, NEED to see him. So please, I beg you...go see Vampire Academy this weekend and if you have already seen it, go see it again!
- ► 2015 (168)
- Review: Jersey Angel
- Waiting on Wednesday (41)
- Kindle Fire Giveaway
- Review: The Promise of Amazing
- Movie Review: Vampire Academy
- Top Ten Tuesday (47)
- Cover Reveal: A Soul's Kiss
- Audio Review: Code Name Verity
- Cover Reveal: Anomaly
- Cover Reveal: Get Even
- The Lady Thief Blog Tour: 5 Things & Giveaway
- Cover Reveal: Knight Assassin
- Waiting on Wednesday (40)
- Top Ten Tuesday (46)
- Review: Split Second
- ▼ February (15)
- ► 2013 (223)
- ► 2012 (204)
My Rating System
Powered by Blogger.