Thursday, June 6, 2013
12:03 AM | Posted by Ashley G. |
That awkward moment a cover has nothing to do with the book...
We've all experienced this, you love a cover. It's beautiful. You read the book and adore it. It's fast paced, full of excitement and has an epic love story. THEN...you close the book and look at the cover. It's still beautiful BUT... it has absolutely nothing to do with the book.
Example 1: Fallen by Lauren Kate
There is a trend in YA of girls wearing formal dresses on covers. I'll admit I love these covers. They are gorgeous but at the same time I wonder, why? In no part of the book does the female protag ever wear a formal gown. So why feature her on the cover in one?
I love this cover. It's one of the reason I bought this book in the first place. The cover was eye catching and I loved it. However, I don't believe the girl ever wears a black formal gown through the woods. It's been a while since I read this book (several years) so please correct me if I'm wrong.
Example 2: The Forsaken by Lisa M. Stasse
The Forsaken has one of if not the most unique and original covers in my opinion. It really is cool. However, I don't exactly get what the cover has to do with the book. Yeah, they give her a brain test so maybe that's what the open part of the top of her head is about. Or maybe the cover artist just went a little too deep for me!
Example 3: The Dark Devine by Bree Despain
This cover stands out to me because of the contrast between the black background and the pale white skin. Grace (the MC) may be pale (it's been a while since I read it and I can't remember if that is every mentioned) but still even if she is what's with the deal with the pale legs being wrapped in purple sheer? The other two covers did something similar and I don't understand how that has anything to do with the book.
So is this just a me thing or do you think covers sometimes have nothing to do with the book? Let me know your thoughts in the comments! Also, if you did a post leave a link and I'll check it out!
Labels:That Awkward Thursday
- ► 2015 (168)
- ► 2014 (172)
- Audio Review: Scarlet
- That Awkward Thursday (15) Wait, he's blonde??
- Book Blast: Disneylanders
- Top Ten Tuesday (32)
- Review: The Distance Between Us
- Secret Side of Empty Blog Tour: Spotlight
- Cover Reveal: Split Second by Kasie West & ARC Giv...
- That Awkward Thursday: What's his name?
- Waiting on Wednesday (33)
- Top Ten Tuesday (31)
- Audio Review: The Program
- That Awkward Thursday (13) Un-Official Book Blogge...
- Waiting on Wednesday (32)
- Audio Review: Days of Blood and Starlight
- Charm & Strange Blog Tour: Review & Giveaway
- Guest Post: Tammy Lowe
- That Awkward Thursday (12) Misleading Covers
- Waiting on Wednesday (31)
- Top Ten Tuesday (30)
- Reveiw: With All My Soul
- Armchair BEA: Young Adult Fiction
- ▼ June (21)
- ► 2012 (204)
My Rating System
Powered by Blogger.