Tuesday, December 11, 2012
8:30 AM | Posted by Ashley G. |
Author: Debra Chapoton
Release Date: October 2012
Source: Author for Review
Living together unsupervised, five troubled teens confront demonic forces and are compelled to deal with their problems in distinctly different ways. Paranormal meets psycho meets Goth in this story of a supernatural haunting and budding love.
High school junior, Ben, hacks into his step-father's real estate holdings and provides rooms in an old two-story house to various outcasts: the schizophrenic kid, the angry Goth girl, and the homeless girl who worships him. When Megan needs a place to live she comes to the rooming house with a different set of problems and the ability to confuse and attract Ben.
One by one strange and mysterious occurrences stretch the teens’ beliefs in the supernatural. How they deal with demons, real and imagined, has tragic as well as redeeming consequences.
I’ll be honest the part about the description that really intrigued me was “the schizophrenic kid”. I work in the mental health field and was curious to see how “the schizophrenic kid” was portrayed. This story turned out to be a little different than what I was expecting.
The story alternatives from all five of the teens perspective. Each teen has their own problems and issues. Megan and Ben definitely are the most put together of the group. However, I felt sorry for all of them. They were all dealing with some tough issues.
The book is easy to read and the book is set at a nice pace. There weren’t a lot of slow parts. There was enough suspense to keep me interested and engaged in what was happening, however, I never 100% connected to the story.
While the story was interesting I was a little turned off by the demonic presence. I never did fully understand what was caused by the demonic presence and what wasn’t. Plus, I didn’t feel that what caused the presence was explained well. I’m not a huge fan of horror but I didn’t find this overly creepy.
Overall, I thought Sheltered was an easy, enjoyable read. If you are looking for some a little different in the paranormal department maybe you should give this book a try.
- ► 2015 (168)
- ► 2014 (172)
- ► 2013 (223)
- End of Year Wrap-Up
- 2013 Reading Challenges
- Review: Taking Chances
- Guest Post: Faith McKay
- This, That or Thought Thursday (9)
- Review: Reaping me Softly
- Holiday Mini Review: Under the Mistletoe
- Review: The Farm & Giveaway
- Guest Post: Digital Publishing: The Grinch Who Sto...
- This, That or Thought Thursday (8)
- Waiting on Wednesday (22)
- WinterHaven Sleigh Tour: Magic of Christmas plus G...
- Words for Hope Going on NOW!
- Guest Post & Giveaway: E. B. Black
- Review: Splintered
- Review: Let it Snow Part 2- A Cheertastic Christma...
- This, That or Thought Thursday
- Review: Sheltered
- Winterhaven Sleigh Tour: Letter to Santa
- Thomas Amo Interview & Giveaway
- Blog Tour: Vine: An Urban Legend
- Holiday Readathon
- This, That or Thought Thursday (6)
- Review: Let it Snow Part 1- The Jubilee Express
- Buy a Book, Help an Animal!!
- Review: The Mark of Athena
- ▼ December (26)
My Rating System
Powered by Blogger.